Friday, November 19, 2010

My Favorite 4 Letter Word

ETSY. If you don't know it, you might want to stop reading. Now. Otherwise I can't be held responsible for how the following post might affect your wallet.


There are a lot of things I said I'd never do with my child. I'd never let her sleep in my room (too late). I'd never sleep on the couch with her (been doing it for months). You can see where I am going with this. My point is that until you have a child you have no idea what you will do. Which brings us to ETSY.


Headbands: They are a personal choice every mommy has to make for herself. And personally? I loathe headbands. Especially on bald babies or babies with little to no hair. I understand you just want the world to know your baby is a girl. That I totally get. But the bows and flowers that are the size of your kid's head or bigger? Just not my style. My kid is not a Giudice. But plenty of people love them and more power to you. I'm not here to judge.

So I once said my child would NEVER wear a headband. And in true Kyle fashion I was rather vocal about it. To a lot of people. But then Emily came out rocking a full head of hair. And before I knew what was happening, I was putting bows in her hair. Little ones. And I'll be damned-she looked cute! My need for cute bows and clips became an obsession. Enter me sitting at home on maternity leave harboring a growing love of this new website I had found. Naptime became dangerous.

Etsy.com is a magical website where you can find pretty much anything under the sun that one could make by hand. Sometimes the choices are overwhelming. I dare you to go to their site and search "crochet infant hat". After you pick your jaw up off of the floor at how many people make and sell said hats, check out how much these bad boys are. And there are sellers who offer free shipping!

One of the things I absolutely love about Etsy is that I am supporting small businesses, stay at home mom's, etc...most of whom are located right here in the good old USA. So not only is Emily rocking a totally cute handmade hat, it wasn't made by some poor kid in a Chinese sweatshop working for 25 cents an hour. That's just little old me, doing my part to stimulate our crappy economy. It's a good way to justify why our 4 month old needs at least a dozen Christmas bows and clips, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment