Friday, November 19, 2010

Milestone

Last night, on the eve of Emily’s 4 month birthday, she and I both had a breakthrough.

It was 11pm and she was wide awake and ready to play. Mommy and daddy have deemed this an unacceptable bedtime for an infant and I promptly whisked her upstairs, put her in her “Baby Merlin’s Magic Sleep Suit” (review of this product to come) and rocked her. Within 15 minutes she was asleep. At this point a tiny voice in my head says “put her in her crib”. The other voice says “no! bring her into your room and put her in the pack & play”. I’m guessing it was delirium from sickness and tiredness that drove me to just put her in the crib. I mean that mattress is like 10 times the thickness of the pack & play. I gently laid her down and waited for her eyes to immediately pop open as they usually do, but she just sighed and kept sleeping. I stood there for a minute, not sure of what to do. I tiptoed into the bedroom.

James rolled over and looked at me and said “Where’s the baby?”
I stood there like a deer in headlights.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“She’s in her crib,” I whispered.

“Good! Go get the monitor and go to bed.”

I pulled the blanket I had around my shoulders tighter over me.

“Maybe I should sleep in there,” I said.

“What!? Where would you sleep?”

“On the floor? In the rocker?”

“No! You can’t sleep in the rocker. Get the monitor. She will be fine.”

I went back into her room and stood over the crib watching her little chest rise and fall. Finally I turned off the tv, grabbed the monitor and went to my own bed. Every hour I quietly got up, tiptoed into her room and made sure she was still breathing. From 11:30pm to about 4am she didn’t make a peep. James went in at 4am when she started whimpering and gave her the binky back. She slept another hour and half before waking up at 5:30am to be fed. A solid 6 hours of sleep! Without waking up crying every hour. In her own crib! And we both survived 

No comments:

Post a Comment